Next course dates
This course is mandatory for:
- those wishing to serve on petroleum tankers in the capacity of Master, Chief Engineer, Chief Officer, or Second Engineer, or
- any person with immediate responsibility for loading, discharging or care in transit of petroleum cargoes.
You will gain comprehensive training in all aspects of petroleum tanker operations at the advanced level.
Completion of this course will enable you to correctly use all forms of on-board cargo handling equipment and effectively access sources of essential safety information.
The course is approved by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) against the standards set by the Merchant Navy Training Board (MNTB) and the International Maritime Organisation (IMO).
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have UK basic oil tanker training and Tanker fire training and 3 month sea time on oil tankers.
The course is based on the MCA approved course and follow the MNTB criteria.
- Hydrocarbon chemistry
- Hydrocarbon hazards
- Chemical and physical properties of oil cargoes
- Oil Tanker Design and Equipment
- Oil Tanker Operations
- Pollution Control
- Emergency Procedures
- Crude oil washing
- Tanker operations cycle
- Legislative requirements
Written assessment is carried out on daily basis and a final written examination on the final day.
Teaching and Learning Methods
Lectures, videos, group discussions and simulator exercises are used in the delivery of the course.
Industry Placement and Field Trips
Other Costs and Equipment Needed
There are no additional costs associated with this course and no equipment is needed.
All staff involved in the delivery of any courses within the College are approved to teach and/or assess the subjects and modules they deliver. The approval process ensures that staff delivering and/or assessing a given programme are appropriately qualified, with relevant technical and industrial experience and professional practice.
Read our tuition fees guide.
Regulation and Accreditation
Accrediting Institution: N/A
Awarding Body: NONE
Terms and Conditions
Read our full terms and conditions for more information.