Next course dates
|Start Date||Location||Duration / Fee|
|19/02/2024||Fleetwood Nautical Campus||5 Weeks/ £1,375||Enquire|
|10/06/2024||Fleetwood Nautical Campus||5 Weeks/ £1,375||Enquire|
|10/09/2024||Fleetwood Nautical Campus||5 Weeks/ £1,485||Enquire|
|18/02/2025||Fleetwood Nautical Campus||5 Weeks/ £1,485||Enquire|
|10/06/2025||Fleetwood Nautical Campus||5 Weeks/ £1,485||Enquire|
The course is designed to prepare students for the Marine Engineering Management Level Unlimited external examinations in Engineering Knowledge General and Motor conducted by the SQA on behalf of the United Kingdom Maritime and Coastguard Agency and to complete short courses required by MCA for the Certificate of Competency (COC).
To meet the STCW 2010, the MCA has made changes to the engineer academic structure, which means the Chief and Second Engineer exams no longer exist. The replacement is the single Management Level course and engineering (EK) exams.
This course consists of preparation for the General and Motor external exams and is delivered prior to the orals preparation element of the course.
Note: to be issued with a management certificate of competency, candidates are required to undertake an MCA oral exam at either second or chief engineer level.
Candidates may also wish to undertake the following courses prior to undertaking the Engineering Knowledge exams: Human Element, Leadership and Management (Management Level) and High Voltage (Management Level) courses
- Have completed 12 months’ seagoing service as an EOOW, III/1, on vessels of at least 750 kW in engine power. This time must include at least 9 months in full charge of the watch or with designated UMS duties.
- HND Marine Engineering with pass of at least 50% in each academic subject. A transcript or college Education and Training (E&T) letter confirming your results will be required.
- Each enrolment is approved on an individual basis. All HND certificates and E&T letter must have been achieved before applying for Certificate of Competency as per MSN 1857.
- Students already in possession of an E&T letter from the college they attended and completed the HND in Marine Engineering require no further HND units.
- Transcripts of HND qualifications with the evidence of 50% pass mark in each subject must be produced before advice and guidance can be given.
- Students without a full or academic HND but who have completed most of HND units may be able to enrol and complete their HND by registering with SQA and completing the outstanding units.
Students must sit an SQA written exam and undertake an MCA oral exam
Teaching and Learning Methods
The course will be predominantly classroom based, with elements in the Engine Room Simulator. Each week will consist of a combination of tutor-led delivery, self-study and mock assessments.
Industry Placement and Field Trips
This course has no work placements and no field trips.
Other Costs and Equipment Needed
All equipment/resources you require for this course are provided by B&FC at no extra cost.
There are a range of potential funding options available to you:
- You can apply for Tuition fee loans via the Government student finance: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/new-fulltime-students
- Sponsorship from your employer
- Scholarship opportunities, such as those found through the Marine Society: https://www.marine-society.org/
- As an active student you can also become a student member of the Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology (IMarEST). This offers benefits such as Awards, Funding, Sponsorship, Scholarships and bursaries: https://www.imarest.org/funding
All staff involved in the delivery of any courses within the College are approved to teach and/or assess the subjects and modules they deliver. The approval process ensures that staff delivering and/or assessing a given programme are appropriately qualified, with relevant technical and industrial experience and professional practice.
Read our tuition fees guide.
Regulation and Accreditation
Accrediting Institution: N/A
Awarding Body: N/A
Terms and Conditions
Read our full terms and conditions for more information.