VTS (IALA V103/1) Induction Course
Course Code: MX1EC204
Next available course:
The VTS Induction course (35 hours) offers a variety of approaches, meets the requirements of IALA and the MCA and provides underpinning knowledge and prepares trainees for the formal assessment to IALA V-103/1 model course for Modules 1, 2, 3, 5, 7 and 8.
This course offers delegates the opportunity to achieve and demonstrate competence in VTS underpinning knowledge and simulated exercises, ending with two written paper assessments.
VTS Operator training is a modular process leading to full MCA certification as a VTS Operator.
The duration of the course is two weeks in total:
Week 1, VTS Induction Course;
Week 2, VTS Operator Simulator Course (although these weeks can be booked separately and are priced accordingly).
Successful completion of this course will lead to the issuance of the MCA approved VTS Induction course certificate.
Pre-requisites: Any of the following three:
- MCA issued or Approved Deck OOW CoC or higher CoC or VTS Nautical Knowledge Certificate (IALA V-103/1 Module 3 & 4) & GMDSS ROC / VTS VHF Radio Certificate or higher certificate.
- Candidates who hold UK Coast Guard Senior Marine Operating Officer (SMOO) Certificate can top up this to VTS Nautical Knowledge by attending 1 week Radar & ARPA course.
- Candidates who complete the MCA approved Blended learning VTS Operator Course (V103/1) Module 4 – Nautical Knowledge and attend 1 week Radar & ARPA course.
Overseas clients need to meet the additional requirement of the English language as per IALA V103 requirements - which are:
- All VTS personnel are required to meet the English Language requirement. Recommended training hours for Module 1 (Language) of the IALA Model Course V- 103/1 are set on the assumption that VTS trainees have achieved an International English Language Testing Scheme (IELTS) Level 5 or equivalent prior to commencement of training.
- The validity of an IELTS certificate is two years. If the IELTS certificate has been obtained earlier than the two-year validity period, the candidate should demonstrate evidence that they have maintained or improved their proficiency in English.
Modules and Assessment
Teaching and Learning Methods
This is a week long course (35 hours) and runs from 9am to 5pm for 5 days.
Teaching and learning is based on classroom delivery, videos, discussions and simulated scenarios.
Industry Placement and Field Trips
Other Costs and Equipment Needed
All staff involved in the delivery of maritime and nautical courses within the College are approved to teach the subjects and modules they deliver. The approval process ensures that staff delivering a given programme are appropriately qualified and, where appropriate, possess relevant vocational and industrial experience and professional practice. .
Fees, Cancellation & Transfer Policy
Private delegate - tuition fees are to be paid in full at the time of booking.
All fees are strictly non-refundable except when the College cancels the course.
Company sponsored delegate
- Companies who hold credit accounts with the College will be invoiced following delivery of the Course
- New companies are required to pay at the time of booking for their first course; credit facilities may be available on request, following successful credit checks.
Off-Premises and Distance Contracts Only
Please refer to College Terms & Conditions.
If you are unable to attend your course you may be able to transfer to another available date. All transfer requests must be received in writing by FOSC no later than 5 working days prior to the commencement date of the course. Email cancellations during the weekend period are strictly not acceptable for courses that commence on a Monday or Tuesday. Company delegates that fail to attend on the commencement date of the course and have not provided 5 working days written notice will be invoiced the full course fee. Private delegates that fail to attend and have not provided 5 working days written notice will be charged the full course fee, no course transfer date will be processed and their payment will be lost. All second transfer requests incur a £55.00 administration fee. Delegates who have made multiple transfers (3+) and fail to attend without the required prior notice in writing will be charged a relevant fee at the discretion of FOSC.
Regulation and Accreditation
Accrediting Institution: N/A
Awarding Body: NONE