Next course dates
VTS personnel are required to undergo VTS Refresher training every three years. This need to be through either a formal VTS Refresher training course conducted by an MCA accredited VTS training organisation, or an in-house MCA approved course provided by a VTS Authority, with the appropriate resources in order to achieve the refresher training standard.
Our VTS (IALA V103/5) Refresher course provides professional development training to ensure that competence, knowledge and skills of VTS Personnel are updated on a periodic basis.
Successful completion of this course will lead to the issuance of the MCA approved VTS (IALA V103/5) Refresher Course certificate.
This course is available to holders of the VTS (IALA V103/1) Operator Course certificate [providing this is no more than three years old].
Candidates should be current VTS Operators and have an in-date VTS Logbook.
NOTE: Delegates with a gap in their training that exceeds three years will need to complete the full VTS (IALA V103/1) Operator Simulator course.
The course content will constantly evolve, be job-centred and relate directly to:
• maintenance of operational standards;
• recent changes, current/emerging trends and good practice that have been identified or promulgated by the IMO, IALA, MCA, Harbour Authorities, VTS Authorities, Pilotage Associations, accredited VTS Training Organisations;
• existing and evolving technological developments that may have an impact on the VTS environment; and
• lessons to be learnt from and relevant recommendations made by the MCA, the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) and others as a result of studies/investigations that may have an impact on the delivery of VTS.
The VTS Refresher training course will evaluate a candidate’s ability in the following areas as per the V103/1 Operator course:
• Use of VHF Radio
• Personal Attributes
• Traffic Management
• Emergency Operations
• Communications Coordination
Teaching and Learning Methods
The VTS Refresher course (21 hours) comprises lectures, presentations and workshops and 10 hours of simulation presented over three consecutive days.
Industry Placement and Field Trips
Other Costs and Equipment Needed
There are no additional costs associated with this course and no equipment is needed.
All staff involved in the delivery of any courses within the College are approved to teach and/or assess the subjects and modules they deliver. The approval process ensures that staff delivering and/or assessing a given programme are appropriately qualified, with relevant technical and industrial experience and professional practice.
Read our tuition fees guide.
Regulation and Accreditation
Accrediting Institution: N/A
Awarding Body: NONE
Terms and Conditions
Read our full terms and conditions for more information.