Visa guidance

To study at Blackpool and The Fylde College, international students require a study visa. There are two types of study visa:

Short-term study visa - if you are studying for 6 months or less
Tier 4 (General) student visas - if you are studying for more than 6 months

Short-term study visa

Short-term study visas are for courses that are up to 6 months long. Approximately 3 months before your course starts we will send you a letter to support your application for a short-term study visa, together with confirmation of your place and the relevant joining instructions.

Tier 4 (General) student visa

Tier 4 (General) student visas are for courses lasting 6 months or longer.

When to apply

You should only apply for a visa once you have received your Certificate of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) from us. You’ll need to enter this on your visa application.

You must apply within 6 months of receiving your CAS but no more than 3 months before the course start date.


You’ll be charged a fee to apply for your visa and you’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge. Check the GOV.UK website for the latest fee information before you apply.

How to apply

You must apply online for a Tier 4 (General) student visa.

Knowledge of English - You will be required to take a secure English language test (SELT) to prove your knowledge of the English language when you apply.
Biometric Residence Permit - You will need to provide your fingerprints and a photo of your face (biometric information) as part of the visa application process. You usually do this when you attend an appointment at the British Embassy or Visa Application Centre (VAC). You will be given an appointment after you complete your online visa application. Check where your nearest Visa Application Centre is.
Credibility interviews - You may have to take a short interview to check your credibility as a genuine student. This is either done via a video link or in person when you attend your appointment to give your biometric information. The focus of this interview will be your reasons for choosing the UK, Blackpool and The Fylde College and your chosen course of study as well as questions on the content of your course and how this fits into your career aspirations. You will be required to answer the questions in English.
Tuberculosis testing - You will need to have a tuberculosis (TB) test if you are coming to the UK for more than 6 months from any of these listed countries.

Documents required

When you apply for the visa you must provide:

a current passport or other valid travel documentation
proof that you can support yourself and pay for your course - this will vary depending on your circumstances
your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test
a copy of your IELTS Test Report Form

You need a page in your passport that’s blank on both sides for your visa.

Having the right amount of money

You must show that you have enough money to cover your course fees and living costs. The money that you will need to support yourself will depend on the length of your course. Read the policy guidance on the GOV.UK website to find the total monthly amount required for living costs.

After payment of your tuition fees, your statements must show that the balance of money required to cover your living costs has been held consecutively in your account for the 28 day period prior to the date of your closing balance. These will be checked for you in advance of your visa application

For support in managing your money in the UK, check out the British Council's budgeting calculator.

Tier 4 time limits on study

It is important to note that with a Tier 4 (General) student visa there is a two year time limit to study courses below degree-level.

Before we can issue you with a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies, we will need to check that your application will not take you over the maximum time allowed.

Students booking the Maritime HND Nautical Science (Chief Mate) course will be required to provide copies of previous visas if they studied for HNC Nautical Science (Officer of the Watch) in the UK.

Working in the UK during your studies

New Tier 4 (General) students will not be permitted to work whilst studying at Blackpool and The Fylde College and in the UK. More information about working in the UK can be found on the UKCISA website.


The College does not contract overseas Agents.

Further information

Information about applying for a visa can be complex and this page provides a general overview. Our team will provide you with full details and help to guide you through the visa application process.

You can also find lots of useful information about visas and immigration on the following websites:

UK Council for International Student Affairs

Related content

How to apply
Fees and deposits

Contact Us

If you're not sure which course to choose, see the qualifications and study programmes we offer.

And if you want to chat with one of our experts, we're here Monday to Friday:

Disabled Confident Employer
Blackpool and The Fylde College
Disabled Confident Employer
Oil and Gas UK