Fleetwood Test House (FTH) has more than 20 years’ experience in testing and certifying Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). At this cutting-edge testing facility you can expect outstanding customer service from experienced and qualified staff.
FTH is made up of two distinct organisations: Fleetwood Testing Laboratory (FTL) and Fleetwood Notified Body (FNB). It offers the following range of services:
- Testing and certification of PPE for the protection against drowning, in accordance with PPE Regulation (EU) 2016/425
- Testing and certification of marine equipment in accordance with the Marine Equipment Directive 2014/90/EU
- Testing of aviation lifejackets and helicopter transit suits in accordance with EASA and CAA specifications
- Compatibility testing of different combinations of PPE.
- Bespoke testing and certification for new marine products
- PPE testing and certification FTH provides testing and certification for PPE products for the protection against drowning, including lifejackets, buoyancy aids, swim aids, immersion suits and diving suits, to obtain Module B (EU type examination) for CE approval in accordance with the PPE Regulation (EU) 2016/425 (previously PPE Directive 89/686/EEC). This is carried out in accordance with the latest European and International Standards.
We can undertake testing in accordance with the following standards:
- EN ISO 12402 Parts 2~10 Personal Floatation Devices
- EN ISO 12401 Deck Safety Harness & Deck Safety Lines EN ISO 15027 Parts 1, 2 & 3 Immersion Suits EN 14225 Parts 1 & 2 Diving Suits (Wet Suits & Dry Suits)
- EN 13138 Parts 1 & 2 Buoyant Aids for Swimming Instruction FNB is appointed as a Notified Body by the United Kingdom Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS)
Our European Notified Body number is 0514 and we are listed under the official European Commission NANDO database for Notified Bodies.
For additional information about the Certification schemes FNB can offer, please see FNB Certification Schemes.
Application for PPE Certification
In addition, FTH can perform the following conformity assessment modules of the PPE Regulation:
- Module C2 (production quality assurance)
- Module D (product quality assurance)
For more information about the differences between the PPE Regulation (EU) 2016/425 and the PPE Directive 89/686/EEC and for information on how to update to the PPE Regulation, please see the FNB Certification PPE Regulation Transition.
Marine equipment testing and certification
FTH provides full testing and certification in accordance with Module B (EC type examination) of the Marine Equipment Directive 2014/90/EU for the following life-saving appliances:
- immersion suits
- thermal protective aids
In addition FTH can perform the following conformity assessment modules of the Marine Equipment Directive: Module D (production quality assurance)
- Module E (product quality assurance) Module F (product verification - required in combination with Module B)
- Application for MED Certification Aviation product testing
Fleetwood Testing Laboratory can carry out testing of aviation lifejackets and helicopter transit suits in accordance with the current EASA specifications as follows:
- ETSO-C13f for Life preservers
- ETSO-2C502 for helicopter crew and passenger integrated immersion suits
- ETSO-2C503 for Helicopter crew and passenger immersion suits for operations to or from helidecks located in a hostile sea area
- ETSO-2C504 for Helicopter constant-wear lifejackets for operations to or from helidecks located in in a hostile sea area
- Draft CAP1034/EN 4856 for Rotorcraft - Emergency Breathing Systems (EBS)
On completion a test report will be provided, which is then submitted to EASA in support of the approval.
Fleetwood Testing Laboratory can carry out compatibility testing of different combinations of PPE and Marine equipment. This can be performed in accordance with HSE guidelines specifically for Offshore use or we can offer a personalised testing schedule dependent on the customers own needs, which will be performed in accordance with the relevant European or International standards.
Testing performed in accordance with HSE guidelines are performed in accordance with the HSE Compatibility test protocol for lifejackets and immersion suits on offshore installations.
Fleetwood Testing Laboratory will undertake research, development and bespoke testing for clients as required. Testing is accompanied by a full test report of any findings based around the requirements of the client. In the past FTL have performed bespoke testing devices such as
- Man-Overboard devices
- Rescue Buoys
FTH is accredited by The United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS) to the ISO 17025 standard, which is the standard outlining the general requirements for the competence of testing and calibration laboratories. A UKAS accreditation is recognition of competence, impartiality and performance capability and it is FTH’s aim to offer a state of the art testing facility and experienced staff members who deliver a high level of customer service to all our existing and new customers.
Discover the full scope of FTL’s testing capabilities on the UKAS website and search UKAS Accredited Organisations using our testing laboratory number – 1559.
For information about costs, to check the validity of a certificate issued by FNB, or for any other queries, please contact us on: T +44 (0) 1253 504725 E email@example.com