Next course dates
|Start Date||Location||Duration / Fee|
|27/02/2023||Fleetwood Nautical Campus||4 Weeks/ £1,295||Enquire|
|02/05/2023||Fleetwood Nautical Campus||4 Weeks/ £1,295||Enquire|
|10/07/2023||Fleetwood Nautical Campus||4 Weeks/ £1,295||Enquire|
|04/09/2023||Fleetwood Nautical Campus||4 Weeks/ £1,425||Enquire|
|30/10/2023||Fleetwood Nautical Campus||4 Weeks/ £1,425||Enquire|
|08/01/2024||Fleetwood Nautical Campus||4 Weeks/ £1,425||Enquire||Enquire||Enquire|
Prepare for your Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) Chief Mates orals examination.
This course is designed to accommodate seafarers who have followed a Foundation Degree (Fd) route during their cadetship and are now seeking their Chief Mates (Unlimited) Certificate of Competency (CoC). This course would also benefit officers who have followed a HND route, who seek an extended preparation period.
This is an intensive programme of study that summarises the knowledge and understanding required by Chief Mates who are employed aboard merchant vessels.
Techniques to help you to impart expert knowledge succinctly whilst portraying a high level of management presence are taught to help you to express your knowledge during the oral examination interview.
Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) recognised Officer of the Watch Certificate of Competency (Unlimited – II/1) and a Foundation Degree in Nautical Science/HND in Nautical Science
There are no specific modules or assessments within this this course as it is the preparation for a formal orals assessment by an external examiner. The syllabus followedis an international standard that is contained within the Standards for Training, Certification of Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW).
The syllabus includes:
- Plan and conduct safe navigational
- Establishing safe navigational watchkeeping arrangements and procedures
- Manoeuvre the ship
- Loading and unloading of cargoes
- Stowage, securing and care of cargoes
- Response to navigational emergencies
- Respond to other emergencies
- Compliance with pollution prevention requirements
- Seaworthiness of the ship
- Crew management
- Maintain safety of ships crew and passengers
- Legislative requirements
The full syllabus can be found in the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) Marine Guidance Notice (MGN) 69 STCW Regulation – II/2 (Chief Mate unlimited) Syllabus Deck - B
Teaching and Learning Methods
This is a classroom based course that is centred on the knowledge and understanding required for the oral assessment. Questions and answer sessions are the core, with any deficiencies addressed through explanation and relation to the appropriate regulations.
Industry Placement and Field Trips
Other Costs and Equipment Needed
Accommodation, transfers and meals are not provided within this course. All equipment required by the course is provided
- The cost of the MCA Orals examination is not included in the above course costs.
- All students are required to produce their passports at the commencement of their course as part of the enrolment procedure and to provide evidence of identity. You will also need to bring an original or attested copy of your Seaman’s Discharge Book/CDC with you to enrolment.
- Students need to apply for their Notice of Eligibility (NoE) six to eight weeks prior to the start date of their course. The MCA will accept an attested copy of your passport along with your original seaman’s discharge book/ CDC, Certificate of Competency and sea service testimonials.
- Students need to book their own orals before starting the course, at any Marine Office, which can only be done once the student is in possession of a valid NoE (the nearest marine office to the campus is Liverpool). For further help or guidance contact the college directly.
All staff involved in the delivery of any courses within the College are approved to teach and/or assess the subjects and modules they deliver. The approval process ensures that staff delivering and/or assessing a given programme are appropriately qualified, with relevant technical and industrial experience and professional practice.
Read our tuition fees guide.
Regulation and Accreditation
Accrediting Institution: N/A
Awarding Body: NONE
Terms and Conditions
Read our full terms and conditions for more information.