Cadets - Advanced Diploma Nautical Science Top Up
Course Code: MH1HE76
Next available course:
The SQA Advanced Diploma in Nautical Science is delivered at Fleetwood Nautical Campus (FNC) and provides students with the fundamental knowledge and key study skills required to allow further study at Higher Education Level. Students will achieve good understanding of Marine Navigation, Ship Stability, Shipboard Operations, Shipmasters Business and Shipboard Management and solve problems from a Management perspective. Students will also develop practical skills through bridge simulation and cargo/Stability programmes.
Successful completion of this programme will enable you to:
- Progress towards you obtaining a UK Chief Mate Unlimited II/2 Certificate of Competency (CoC) of a merchant vessel.
- Take responsibility of managing watches at sea and in port.
- Effectively manage navigation of a vessel by traditional and modern means.
- Manage a vessel in a safe and effective manner.
- Work with others in a safe and effective manner.
- Develop skills to deal with emergency situations.
- Develop discipline and compliance with current maritime legislation.
- Prepare for the external MCA written and oral examinations at Chief Officer Level.
- MCA approved HNC Nautical Science 120 Credits / Advanced Certificate in Nautical Science
- IELTS for UKVI. Students must score a minimum grade of 4.0 in each of the following elements, Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking.
Modules and Assessment
Teaching and Learning Methods
The SQA Advanced Diploma in Nautical Science is delivered using a blend of learning styles, with assessments being conducted at the end of each unit.
To complete your underpinning knowledge, you will need to attend the college regularly and work through all of the learning material and submit your formative assessments for marking on a regular basis.
Industry Placement and Field Trips
Other Costs and Equipment Needed
All staff involved in the delivery of maritime and nautical courses within the College are approved to teach the subjects and modules they deliver. The approval process ensures that staff delivering a given programme are appropriately qualified and, where appropriate, possess relevant vocational and industrial experience and professional practice. .