Chief Mate (Unlimited)
Course Code: MD1EC29
Next available course:
|Start Date||Location||Duration / Fee|
|Anytime||Fleetwood Nautical Campus||5 Years / £1375.00||Enquire|
Qualify for an exciting career at sea with the HND Nautical Science. Fleetwood Nautical Campus is one of the UK’s top nautical establishments and benefits from outstanding success rates. With our popular distance learning model you can combine paid work with study from anywhere in the world. The course, when combined with certain professional qualifications, will entitle you to apply for a Chief Mate (Unlimited) Certificate of Competency; it provides the required knowledge, skills and experience for eventual seagoing employment as a Chief Officer in the Merchant Navy. You will either have a sponsoring company or be undertaking the qualification in your own right.
- Full course fee - £4735
- Fee payable at enrolment for Set One - £1375
- Set One must be paid for at enrolment; the remaining sets can be purchased individually throughout the course once you have attended college for the Set One exams.
To achieve the Chief Mate (Unlimited) UK Certificate of Competency you will need to have the following:
- 12 months’ watchkeeping service while holding an OOW (Unlimited) (II/I) Certificate of Competency – see MSN 1856
- HNC Nautical Science
- STCW short courses as required - see MSN 1865 for details and Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) approved countries and centres
- MCA SQA Navigation and Stability exams
- MCA Orals
Modules and Assessment
Teaching and Learning Methods
This course is delivered via distance (online) learning with practical and formal assessments taking place in College. When you enrol we will develop your own personal teaching, learning and assessment plan.
You will be expected to work through the various learning materials independently and submit your work for marking on a regular basis.
Throughout the course, you will have round-the-clock access to a vast range of up-to-the-minute interactive resources. You will also receive regular supportive feedback from our expert tutors and staff.
Work Placement and Field Trips
Other Costs and Equipment Needed
All staff involved in the delivery of maritime and nautical courses within the College are approved to teach the subjects and modules they deliver. The approval process ensures that staff delivering a given programme are appropriately qualified and, where appropriate, possess relevant vocational and industrial experience and professional practice. .
Methods of payment;
The College does not accept cash for payment of deposits or tuition fees. Traveller’s cheques and individual’s foreign cheques are also not accepted. Payments may be made by the following methods only;
- Bankers draft – made payable to Blackpool and The Fylde College
- Bank transfer (bank details provided on request)
- Invoice (if company sponsored – EU learners & EU companies only and by prior agreement)
- Credit / Debit Card
Blended Learning Students
- All students are to pay for Set One modules, SQA Registration and on-line registration at enrolment.
- All International students wishing to enter the UK must meet the United Kingdom Visas and Immigration (UKVI) criteria. We strongly recommend you check that you meet the criteria before applying to enrol onto the course which requires a minimum of 4 visits to the UK.
- It is extremely important to note that the College will not sponsor students for visa purposes. Organisation of obtaining the correct visa remains the sole responsibility for the student and that no fees will be refund for students who enrol onto the course and subsequently cannot enter the UK for any reason.